Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mmmm, the Smell of Burning Flesh...

Random BS you probably wont care about:
So, I had an accident at work... I burned off about 50% of the skin on my right thumb (and it just happened to be the inside of my thumb) so I have been having a hell of a time being able to get any work done on this thing this past week. Today however, it was just so nice outside and everyone was out of the house that I decided to muster through the pain and get some work done!

The good stuff:
I finally gave a go at the whole "Rondo" thing and I gotta say, that kicks ass! I used smooth cast for a few of my pieces and while they are solid, they weigh a ton... literally. Using the Rondo seems just as strong (I haven't done any actual testing or anything) and it is a bit lighter as well. I ran out of Bondo while I was working on it and I was able to go pick up some more, but then everyone got home so I had to stop.

Side note; If you are curios as to what in the hell "Rondo" is... simply put, it is a combination of Bondo and Resin. I have been using the stuff you can pick up at Lowes or Auto-Zone and it has worked great for me. I have been making about a 50-50 mixture but you can really do however much you want to get a consistency you want to run with. the more resin, the thinner it will be. the more Bondo, the thicker it will me.

I used the slush pour method and another nice thing about the Rondo is it is thick enough to slush around without being the consistency of other liquids such as water. This is more of a "warm syrup" kind of thickness. Here is a shot I took during the pour.
The Helmet has a nice layer of Rondo inside it now, but it could still use a bit more so I am not done with it yet. I also stole a brilliant technique I have seen where you attach tape to the outside ring (the opening) and then when you pour around the edge you don't have to worry as much about losing all your fluid out the opening!
As you can see, I got a good amount inside, but I want to get it a bit thicker for protection purposes. obviously I dont intend to use this careening down the highway on a motorcycle or anything, but I would like it to hold up if someone throws something at my head =P

No comments:

Post a Comment